This is a piece I did for the art auction the graduating Graphic Design class of Sault College does every year in December (the show this was sold at was in 2011). I sold this as a print for 40 or 45 dollars. Based off of a joke I came up with while listening to Pearl Jam the previous summer.
After a few rough sketches and a lot of time searching for photo-reference, this was finished in Adobe Illustrator. The font used is Bauhaus.

This is a piece I did for the art auction the graduating Graphic Design class of Sault College does every year in December (the show this was sold at was in 2011). I sold this as a print for 40 or 45 dollars. Based off of a joke I came up with while listening to Pearl Jam the previous summer.

After a few rough sketches and a lot of time searching for photo-reference, this was finished in Adobe Illustrator. The font used is Bauhaus.

Business card designed for photographer Brad Jones

Worked back and forth with client to create a business card. Done within around one week. Brad loved the view finder I’d created as a design for the back of the card, he then wanted to carry it forward to the other side. After that it became an exercise in playing with typography. He wanted to use a serif font but I included a sans serif to differentiate between information. He loved the look and went forward and had them printed.

Easily one of the best design jobs in terms of dealing with a client. Very fun.

First year Illustration project, first attempt at using a brush with ink. Used a pen for the outline but the entire inside is done with a brush. For the assignment I had to choose a letter and a corresponding animal.

First year Illustration project, first attempt at using a brush with ink.
Used a pen for the outline but the entire inside is done with a brush.
For the assignment I had to choose a letter and a corresponding animal.

Scanned typography assignment I’d done in my first year of graphic design school. I had to use found typography and create a ransom note of my own writing. So I made a joke about the newspaper comics, which I respect and love but are often bland & uninteresting. Had to use magazines for the actual type because the glue made the newsprint difficult to read.

Scanned typography assignment I’d done in my first year of graphic design school. I had to use found typography and create a ransom note of my own writing. So I made a joke about the newspaper comics, which I respect and love but are often bland & uninteresting. Had to use magazines for the actual type because the glue made the newsprint difficult to read.

This is a branding exercise I did myself. I created profiles of two bands for clients, then created logos and merchandise for these imaginary bands.
Here are the profiles.

DEATHRAY JONES are a loud, high-energy rock band with a punk vibe (think Dillinger Four, Off With Their Heads or The Slow Death). They have a good sense of humor in their sound that’s referenced by the nonsensical band name.

DRJ wouldn’t mince words, neither should their logo.
The logo is fairly straight-forward and literal, just like DRJ would be.
It mixes fonts (Baskerville to Bauhaus) to show their uncaring attitude to consistency.

THE GODDAMN EXPRESS is instrumental band (probably made up of 6 or 7 people) in the vein of Neurosis, Explosions in the Sky or Deathmole though more aggressive. The Goddamn Express are less atmospheric than the aforementioned instrumental bands they’re based on. Their sound doesn’t always slowly creep up on you with a gradual build. I imagine them to hit hard and fast over a long period of time so their logo needs to reflect that, hence the train reference.

TGDE’s logo shows a cow-catcher, with the logotype forming the rest of the “train”. Played with the spacing in the words “GODDAMN” and “EXPRESS” to help them match up and look more solid. I figured the logo should look like its about to hit you if you didn’t get off the tracks as that’s what I imagine the band would sound like.

Redesigned my old business card. Completely changed the old logo, which used to incorporate all three of my initials (J, B & K) and went with a different font, which I then modified. The K is actually made up of different parts of other letterforms in the font.
I used a speech bubble to reference my love of cartooning, which led to me becoming interested in art and eventually led to me becoming a graphic designer.

My final semester long project in its printed form. 100% Black and white, saddle stitch. This project was challenging to say the least.
It made me to track my time, realize what I can and can’t do and really deal with the printing of a product. It was so hard to constantly have to draw and write new content.
I always understood cartooning to be difficult but hearing about it and doing
it are two different things. It was also a test of acceptance, because I had to realize that if I spent the time to make the art as good as I possibly could I would miss my deadline. I had to accept that I’m still learning to use a tablet and that this project is more of a technical exercise than a creative one. I still ended up putting a lot of time into the art just for fun, paying homage to artists like KC Green and Ryan Pequin. But in the end it was the jokes I had to focus on.

Above are picture of the book when it was printed (actually taken by me the day it was printed and bound). Also a screen cap of the cover and a few comics from Rough Start for better viewing.

Older Illustration class assignments.